Hundreds of millions of customers. Billions of products for sale. Billions of queries and billions of dollars in revenue. The scale and impact of Amazon Search is huge, and we are looking for the right person to join our team, and own projects focused on ensuring Search has the right answers, thereby growing its impact and intelligence. We're offering an opportunity to use the judgment of how search works that you have built over time, and your skills in Machine Learning [ML], data analysis, knowledge bases to build new delightful shopping experiences. You have experience working on search engines, but you want to go beyond what most of them can do today.
This is a technical/product role focusing on ensuring Search provides the right answer to customers in situations where our machines haven't had time to catch up - new product launches, external events, etc. You will manage a team of search curators and engineers to edit the search experience to delight customers in specific situations. You will also ensure these edits are human hints that also help train our automated ML systems (developed by partner teams), so the ML systems can handle future scenarios. To be successful, you'll need customer obsession, grit, excellent written and verbal communication skills, ability to deal with ambiguity, and strong bias for action.
You will need 10 years' experience building large scale search experiences, with a demonstrated use of ML systems, knowledge bases, data science, recommender systems, multi-arm bandits, and relevance and ranking systems. You will have experience experience with A/B testing, and/or multivariate testing for measuring, and optimizing the customer experience, as well as scripting in Python or R to do data analysis.
On a day-to-day basis, you'll be part of a small, close-knit team of technical product managers, developers, and applied scientists who build proof-of-concept projects in an agile, and highly collaborative manner. You will partner with teams throughout Amazon to discover new technologies and partner with people solving relevant complex problems. You'll build systems that are scalable and efficient. The outcome of your hard work will be a delightful shopping experience for our customers.
If that sounds like you, and you'll enjoy developing intelligent shopping experiences at Amazon scale, thinking about the end-to-end experience and defining the technical requirements needed to build it, take the first step of joining us by applying to this role.
You'll be based in Palo Alto, CA and travel between Seattle, Palo Alto and Boston about 10% of the time.
Specific Duties include:
- Deliver on incoming requests for edits to the search experience with your team, and including proactively identifying and executing on opportunities to delight our customers
- Work with Search backend and frontend teams to build features to communicate with customers - e.g. messages, navigational aids
- Write customer driven requirements and technical specifications for partner teams. Be an advocate for customers and work backwards from their needs.
- Work with world class scientists and engineering to frame customer problems and their solutions
- Align with senior leaders across Amazon on Search vision, strategy, goals, status, and customer impact.
- Manage the product innovation roadmap from inception through implementation; establish success metrics and drive execution.
-Understand and explain complex technical issues, discern impact, and communicate them to business partners to drive resolution.
- Follow customer and technology trends and Think Big about innovation.
- Lead and mentor product managers; participate in recruiting efforts.
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer - Minority/Female/Disability/Vet. Qualified applicants with criminal histories will be considered in a manner consistent with all applicable local, state and federal laws, Inc. group of companies and is an equal opportunity employer.
BASIC QUALIFICATIONS • Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Information Systems or related field
• 10 years of overall experience, with 7 year's product management experience in the software industry with specific for on large scale AI, and one or more of the following: Personalization, Knowledge bases, Query Understanding, Relevance and Ranking
• Deep knowledge of machine learning and its application to recommender systems, multi-arm bandits, and relevance and ranking systems.
• Solid experience running A/B testing, and/or multivariate testing for measuring, and optimizing the customer experience,
• Coding skills or solid scripting in Python or R to do data analysis.
• Understanding of Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC) best practices and project planning/execution skills
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills; ability to present complex technical information in a clear and concise
• Comfortable challenging assumptions and thinking of creative ways to tackle problems
• Experience translating customer needs into innovative and detailed product requirements for customer-facing online and mobile products/services
• Experience communicating with customers, technical teams, and management to collect requirements, describe software product features, and technical designs
• Superior analytical and quantitative skills; experience using data and metrics to test theories, confirm assumptions, and measure success
• Exceptional attention to detail, organizational, and project management skills
• Experience working on agile development teams
• Must be able to travel 10% of time
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS • MS or PhD in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Statistics, or Mathematics
• 10 years of experience in software development or research fields.
• Expert level skills with Query Understanding and Personalization
• Author documents relating to product life cycle including product roadmap, business requirements and functional specifications
• 5 years of hands-on experience working with contextual multi-armed bandits and personalization
• 2 years of hands-on experience working with contextual multi-armed bandits and personalization
• predictive modeling and analysis
• Experience with foreign languages is a plus